Sunday, January 17, 2010

I do not like them, Sam-I-Am...



I would not like them here or there. I would not like them anywhere...

I've been a life-long detester of eggs. I'm told it's a loathing that began in the womb. According to my mom, eggs and heavily perfumed old ladies tied for top nausea-inducer during her pregnancy. So, I really shouldn't be surprised that both of these things continue to make me ill. I don't try to fight the perfume thing because, really, what can you do? But the egg thing has always bothered me. Egg lovers LOVE eggs and even those who just like them seem to like them quite well. I've always considered myself a pretty adventurous, non-picky eater, so it just doesn't seem right to detest such a staple food. But, generally, it just is what it is. Me and eggs...we don't get along.

Enter Molly Wizenberg and Matthew Amster-Burton. The subject of the first episode of their new podcast Spilled Milk (which is great, by the way) was fried eggs, and their enthusiasm for fried eggs on most everything was infectious. (I'm sure you can see where this is going.) Long story short, after much hemming and hawing about it, I decided to try their recipe for Kimchi Fried Rice with Fried Eggs. Well, the Kimchi Fried Rice part was great...but the eggs. The minute I tasted that rich runny yolk...well, let's just say that I did NOT experience a late-in-life conversion to the church of the egg.

I tried, but I think me and eggs just aren't meant to be...

5 comments:

SweetBonita said...

oh. my. gosh.

there are others? like me? that just really don't get the existance of eggs? i mean sure they're great in cakes, or pies, or other things that DON'T FORCE ME TO NOTICE THEY'RE THERE. but to eat like, a plate of eggs? perish the thought! even French toast skeeves me out a little. i just do not like them. at all.
but i LOVE the thought of them. a picture of a plate of toast, bacon, fried potatoes, and eggs is just the most beautiful thing i've every seen. oftentimes i've sat down with a plate, trying to convince myself that i'm just being a bit delusional. i mean, i didn't drink tea until 2 years ago because it was "yucky" and i'm 29. so maybe it'll be that way for the eggs?
i'm sorry to report that we are so far, no good in that category. i just don't get them.

'Cole said...

"church of the egg" Ha!

Micheline said...

I was an egg hater. Oh, yes. Absolutely. I found everything about them disgusting. The shell, the runniness, the smell, the yolk, hard-boiled, soft-boiled, fried, poached(?!), any and every way imaginable. Well, except for cookies and other delicious confections. Those were okay. Then one day, for no particular reason, I ordered an egg-white omelette from a restaurant. It was filled with asparagus, roasted red peppers, Italian meat, and gorgonzola cheese. I was so ashamed to admit that I loved it after declaring my hatred for eggs for so many years but I honestly and truly loved it. Maybe the other flavours overpowered the egg but I can often be found ordering or even making (I still have a hard time admitting it) an egg-white omelette. I still can't eat eggs any other way. The thought churns my insides. I'm certainly not trying to convince you to try even more eggs. One bad experience is enough. I'm a firm believer in sticking to your guns where egg hatred is concerned I just thought you might get a laugh from my story.

Anonymous said...

I'll eat scrambled eggs. That's it. And they had better have spices on them. Especially salt.

One day, I dream of having my own chicken coop, but I could probably only eat one chicken's worth of eggs.

Andrea said...

oh belle,

Perhaps your first foray into egg eating should not have been runny (emphasis on runny) eggs on top of kimchi (which I LOVE) fried rice.

I swear the thought and even more the smell of eggs used to induce my gag reflex but I learned to like eggs the older I got and the more interested I became in doing interesting things with them myself. There are so many recipes that I have tried that have made them more palatable, even quite tasty but I always like to err on the side of overcooking them rather than them being the slightest bit runny.

Tonight on Chinese New Year's Eve, I had my very first thousand-year-old egg and I loved it!

I hope you can give them another chance. And even if you don't - they make a great hair conditioner. :)

Andrea