Saturday, June 19, 2010

New York 2010 -- Day 2






The photos pick up at dinner time again : ). The first part of the day was spent shopping in SoHo, my favorite shopping area in NY, but we had tickets for a matinee of Memphis, so I didn't have much time and had to shop with laser-like focus...so no pictures. Honestly, though, shopping wasn't that eventful. I ended up carrying home the same bags I always do: Muji and Uniqlo. I'm very happy with what I got from Muji in particular, but I sort of expected that ;).

So, about Memphis, my family and I disagreed on this. They all though it was better than Fela!, but I didn't feel that way at all. First of all, I think comparing the two shows is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. They're just not the same kind of show. But, if you are going to compare them, I think which one you prefer depends very much on who you are and what you like. If you like conventional musicals with conventional storytelling, Memphis is the show for you. But, if, like me, you appreciate unique rhythms, beats, movement and subtle storytelling that doesn't hit you over the head with a sledgehammer, I think you'd like Fela!. It's unlike anything I've ever seen on stage, and I really appreciate its uniqueness. I guess it's not for everybody though...

So, on to dinner. Like Maison, Cafe Espanol is another restaurant we always visit on these annual trips. They always seat us at the same table, and we always eat pretty much the same thing, and it's always wonderful. But I have to say that I love the walk to Cafe Espanol almost as much as I love the restaurant itself! I just love the atmosphere of Greenwich Village so much and look at that greenery! Love it.

So, that's it folks. We spent one more day in New York (in White Plains and the Bronx), but it was a very laid-back family day and I didn't pull my camera out once. Anyhoo, hope you enjoyed the few pictures I took!

3 comments:

Ebz said...

I just love the pictures you to take AND I just love your lense! I have a Nikon, 25-55mm zoom. But anyways, beautiful. Glad you had fun with your family.

Anonymous said...

I love your pics and think you should do some review of restaurants in Cville.

Shell said...

Fela is amazing..I saw it on mother's day with my mom.