Saturday, October 2, 2010

Black Thumb Heaven




At some point this summer I started to get into house plants. Despite my history of killing just about every plant I ever touched, I was convinced it would be different this time and ordered myself the most beautiful begonias I could find. Massive massive fail. They drooped and died within days of being in my presence. **Sigh** Needing a pick-me-up after that disaster, I subtly suggested to my New Yorker boyfriend (yes, I said boyfriend...we do have some catching up to do, don't we?) that I might like to receive a little something from Sprout in Brooklyn the next time he came to visit. "Nothing too expensive," I said, "The cheaper the plant, the less guilty I feel when I kill it." Well, my boy delivered, and then some. To date, he's given me four air plants and the fabulous succulent/cacti arrangement in the top photo (the cacti arrangement was kind of pricey, but decidedly hard to kill). I've been caring for them all for a while now, and I'm happy to say that they are thriving. The cacti add a rustic grace to my windowsill and the air plants are so fascinating to watch. Two of them have sprouted pups (baby air plants)! I don't think I can say that my black thumb is cured...oh no. I mean, really, how hard is it to take care of hardy plants that are extremely difficult to kill? But I think I'm ready to try my hand at some (slightly) more demanding house plants. We'll see how that goes...

2 comments:

Lori said...

Yay! You're back!

Never heard of an "air plant", which means my thumb must not only be black, but rotted. LOL

Glad you're making progress with the cacti (?). But I really want to be nosy about the NY boyfriend. Good for you!!!

SweetBonita said...

no posts for awhile and now i "new boyfriend" one liner in a plant post! uh, yeah, we DO have some catching up to do! (notice how i write this as if we're real life friends. i don't mean to be a creepy and presumptious blog commenter. i just really like your blog, lol...)